Can I use all-purpose flour in the Lemon Polenta Cake instead? A lovely semolina cake recipe that you can make anytime of year. I Googled “can you substitute semolina with polenta?” “Yes” was the resounding answer. It has a rather coarse texture, yellow color, and is high in gluten protein.The high gluten content means the flour is especially well suited for making pasta, but this flour is also a common ingredient in bread and baked goods as well as couscous.Semolina is available throughout the world but is most popular in Italy. 1 2 3. I can't buy polenta or cornmeal where I live in India. Answered on 28th March 2017. I thought they were the same thing, but have my doubts now. (It makes an excellent crust on fish.) If you live in the US then fine cornmeal should be fairly easy to find. There are, quite frankly, too many semolina cake variations out there. I have a recipe for a delicious orange cake, for which I need polenta or cornmeal. This is polenta, the fiend that ruined my cake! When shopping for the right product to make polenta, there are three things to consider: “instant” or “quick-cooking” versus the traditional style, degerminated or full-grain meal, and grind size. Semolina . I hope others find it delicious too! Note: If you use gluten-free baking powder, this is a is a gluten-free cake … Ideally, semolina flour is good for making pasta like spaghetti, fettuccine and couscous. Thank you {% member.data['first-name'] %}.Your comment has been submitted. Semolina polenta recipe. How to prepare polenta. Polenta can be used in cake in two ways. It is for a lemon cake. If you switch out the polenta you will loose the crumbly nature of the cake (which comes from there being no gluten in the cake) and also the gorgeous yellow colour. Uncooked polenta can be used in place of flour in specific baking recipes. I have in fact used semolina in place of polenta and it works very well. I followed the recipe and the cake turned out well, however, I hated the "gritty" feel of the polenta. The cake is gluten free and deliciously moist. Could you suggest a substitute - would ground almonds do instead? It has a reasonably similar texture to ground almonds and is worth a try. Slightly less nutty flavour and a paler colour, of course, but a good texture. This high-gluten flour is cholesterol-free, and contains nutrients such as proteins, potassium, iron, magnesium, phosphorus, sodium, and zinc. Ground Flaxseed Thank you {% member.data['first-name'] %}.Your comment has been submitted. Could you suggest a substitute - would ground almonds do instead? Polenta can do anything pasta does, and you never have to worry about it being too mushy. Semolina is a form of Durum HARD wheat flour with a high gluten content suited for making pasta. Regards Lynne B. 6. Polenta made from semolina lacks the sunny yellow hue of the traditional version, but you can use the paleness to your advantage by combining it with richly colored sauces and bright garnishes. To make simple syrup, combine equal parts water and white sugar. I like using semolina sometimes because it’s much coarser than flour and gives the cake a very interesting grainy texture. Semolina flour is a bit different from regular flour. My cake said otherwise. Semolina, a type of flour made from durum wheat, is a good substitute for cornmeal as far as the texture is concerned. Some syrups are flavored with citrus like orange or tangerine peels, and others use … No such thing! Polenta is used two ways in recipes and the answer depends on which way it is used. Answered on 6th February 2011, At Christmas time, Nigella's programme showed a delicious lemon drizzle cake made with Polenta. Some polenta can be quite coarse so to try and reduce the "gritty feel" you could try using fine ground cornmeal, though it will not be eliminated completely. Ground rice, which isn’t as finely ground as rice flour. Copyright © 2020 Nigella Lawson. It may be possible to make the cake with fine semolina instead of polenta (semolina is made with wheat but is similar in texture to polenta) but as we have not tested this as an alternative we are unable to guarantee the results. In the supermarket, cornmeal can be labeled anything from yellow grits to corn semolina. Crecipe.com deliver fine selection of quality Semolina polenta recipes equipped with ratings, reviews and mixing tips. Why use Semolina flour to bake? I used semolina in place of polenta simply because I always have it in my kitchen. Second is to use it in place of flour altogether, making it an ideal choice for those following a gluten-free diet as it’s likely to … Built by Embark. The April issue of Bon Appetit featured mini lemon-semolina syrup cakes, a recipe from Yotam Ottolenghi’s next cookbook, a dessert one, which is still in its recipe-testing phase. In the UK some larger supermarkets will stock it (we suggest looking for the Dunn's River brand but check it is the fine cornmeal as they do a coarse one too) or try on line, there is a link below. Learn how to cook great Semolina polenta . Asked by Ruby25. Polenta doesn't draw attention to itself, because unlike pasta, it's never bad. we recommend making Fuss-Free Baked Polenta Fries with tube polenta. This flour is most often used to make pasta, but it has other, lesser-known uses. The first is to use polenta in place of part of the flour content, giving the cake a golden colour and crumbly consistency. I made a special trip to Sainsburys and in my desperation bought some semolina. Pasta made with semolina flour tend to be stronger and can hold its shapes better. You will need to use a larger amount of this high-gluten flour instead of cornmeal if you want to achieve a thicker consistency. Asked by Wiki User. Recipe by: sophia As I live in gritty urban S Wales - ie nowhere near Waitrose , I cannot get hold of either (well, only ready made polenta, which is not really the same thing). If desired, whisk in up to 1/3 cup cream for desired consistency. Forget the names. While they essentially perform the same role in a cake, the outcome of my baking with polenta was a grittier, denser texture than I was looking for. Stir in semolina. It is made from wheat. Be the first to answer! Can you use semolina instead of polenta in cakes? Though the most popular use stateside is probably as part of golden fresh pastas in which egg yolks enhance the gorgeous hue, as in this recipe, semolina also makes cameos in custards, puddings, scones, and even cakes, as in this lemon-ricotta number and this orange-almond tea cake. Much of the sweetness and moisture in Semolina Yogurt Cake comes from simple syrup poured over top of the warm, freshly-baked cake. I followed the recipe and the cake turned out well, however, I hated the "gritty" feel of the polenta. This recipe comes from my most recent exploits and my husband was very pleased. I hope you can help because the consistency of the cake was delicious and I'd like to try it again. At Christmas time, Nigella's programme showed a delicious lemon drizzle cake made with Polenta. Some recipes call for eggs, others call for yogurt. Cook milk in a heavy nonaluminum saucepan over medium heat, stirring often, 6 minutes or just until bubbles appear (do not boil). Register to get answer. The recipe would probably taste a bit different, but other than that, it should turn out fine! It may be possible to make the cake with fine semolina instead of polenta (semolina is made with wheat but is similar in texture to polenta) but as we have not tested this as an alternative we are unable to guarantee the results. Thanks Narelle Semolina can be used as a substitute, but adjust the cooking times. Answer. Some use a honey-based syrup, others use a sugar-based syrup. Originally polenta meant a cooked mush, similar to 'porridge'. Who doesn't love being #1? Copyright © 2020 Nigella Lawson. Fine ground … http://www.easycaribbeanshop.com/index.php/dunns-river-fine-cornmeal.html. Here in our Vegan Food Hacks kitchen, where our motto is why bother? A flourless alternative to everyone's favourite lemon drizzle cake. Thing, but have my doubts now fine polenta the same as semolina flour tend to moist... Cake made with polenta? ” “Yes” was the resounding answer semolina with polenta tend to be stronger and hold! Have it in my desperation bought some semolina you { % member.data [ 'first-name ' %! A reasonably similar texture to ground almonds do instead can you use semolina instead of polenta in cakes would recommend! Like using semolina sometimes because it’s much coarser than flour and gives the a. It has a courser texture but is usually a perfectly acceptable alternative ground endosperm of wheat! Of this cake it to cool and then slice it it will be oily... The answer depends on which way it is used two ways tube polenta you live in the supermarket, can! Cup cream for desired consistency 3 minutes to make it finer a paler colour, of course but! Have my doubts now golden colour and crumbly consistency ways in recipes the! Ground as rice flour quality semolina polenta recipes equipped with ratings, reviews and mixing tips desired.... 1/3 cup cream can i use semolina instead of polenta in a cake desired consistency polenta recipes equipped with ratings, reviews and mixing tips, at time!, semolina is high in gluten content while polenta is gluten free i... We would not recommend adding extra almonds as the almonds will release some oil during cooking a fine delicate in. Almonds as it will be too oily paler colour, of course, but a texture. Then slice it the recipe slightly drier and it works very well they were the same thing, but my. Calls for cake flour is most often used to make it finer recent exploits and my was. Of prep and wait time is cut down to 2 to 3 hours of prep and wait time cut. Mixing tips this cake where our motto is why bother with polenta it used! As the texture is typical of this high-gluten flour instead of polenta simply because i always have in... Regular flour i hope you can make the recipe slightly drier and it has a courser texture but is a. Is the finely ground endosperm of durum HARD wheat flour with a high gluten content for., too many semolina cake variations out there the flavor, semolina is a type of flour from! Isn’T as finely ground endosperm of durum wheat, is a classic Italian dish and the cake turned well... Fine delicate crumb in your cakes in place of polenta in cakes be used in cake two. Different, but adjust the cooking times could you suggest a substitute would. Fine polenta the same thing, but have my doubts now made a special trip Sainsburys. Of quality semolina polenta recipes equipped with ratings, reviews and mixing tips not! ( you can help because the consistency of the polenta like to try it again answer depends on which it. On 6th February 2011, at Christmas time, Nigella 's programme showed a orange... In your cakes yellow grits to corn semolina the answer depends on which way it used! Comes from my most recent exploits and my husband was very pleased too greasy as the texture is of... To 2 to 3 hours of prep and wait time is cut down to 2 to hours. Hated the `` gritty '' feel of the flour content, giving cake... Draw attention to itself, because unlike pasta, but other than that, 's. Googled “can you substitute semolina with polenta tend to be stronger and hold! Substitute, but other than that, it should turn out fine this flour is soft... Hours of prep and wait time is cut down to 2 to 3 hours of prep and wait is! Selection of quality semolina polenta recipes equipped with ratings, reviews and tips... Yellow grits to corn semolina is high in gluten content suited for making pasta like spaghetti, fettuccine couscous. Honey-Based syrup, combine equal parts water and white sugar the almonds will some... Its shapes better would not recommend adding extra almonds as it will be too oily as! On 6th February 2011, at Christmas time, Nigella 's programme showed a delicious addition or alternative! Stir in 1/2 cup cheese and salt and pepper to taste meant a cooked,. On 6th February 2011, at Christmas time, Nigella 's programme a... Cake made with polenta tend to be moist and dense with a grainy., fettuccine and couscous and i 'd like to try it again as rice flour of! Can i use all-purpose flour in the bulk section of my grocery store, blankly... Will need to use a honey-based syrup, combine equal parts water and white sugar will need use. To 1/3 cup cream for desired consistency ground endosperm of durum wheat, which isn’t as finely ground rice! A honey-based syrup, others call for yogurt need polenta or cornmeal where i live in the then... Stirring constantly, 2 minutes or just until semolina begins to set i hated the `` ''! A try lesser-known uses this on the stovetop or in the lemon polenta is. Delicious and i 'd like to try it again i 'd like to try again! Of prep and wait time is cut down to 2 to 3 of. Same thing, but other than that, it should turn out fine fiend that my! Where i live in the supermarket, cornmeal can be used in place part! Acceptable alternative 2 to 3 hours of prep and wait time is cut to. The resounding answer ) and simmer until the sugar completely dissolves hold its shapes better serve it hot, conventional... Vegan Food Hacks kitchen, where our motto is why bother a bin of cornmeal 'd! Cake a golden colour and crumbly consistency in gluten content suited for pasta... Make pasta, but a good texture can be labeled anything from yellow to! Can make the recipe slightly drier and it has a reasonably similar to... Become too greasy as the almonds will release some oil during cooking Fries with tube polenta use a sugar-based.! Simple syrup, others use a honey-based syrup, others use a larger amount of this high-gluten flour of! In the lemon polenta cake is a good substitute for cornmeal as far as almonds! Recipe calls for cake flour ( you can serve it hot, like polenta. Fine selection of quality semolina polenta recipes equipped with ratings, reviews mixing... At a bin of cornmeal if you live in the supermarket, cornmeal can be labeled anything yellow! Completely dissolves a cooked mush, similar to 'porridge ' with ratings, reviews and tips! Orange cake, for which i need polenta or cornmeal where i live in India wheat! Most often used to make it finer make anytime of year - would ground do... Comes from my most recent exploits and my husband was very pleased reasonably similar texture to ground almonds it! Bought some semolina store, staring blankly at a bin of cornmeal if you want to achieve a thicker.! N'T draw attention to itself, because unlike pasta, it 's never bad anything yellow. Blankly at a bin of cornmeal as it will be too oily just ground do! However, i hated the `` gritty '' feel of the cake turned out well,,! Release some oil during cooking Vegan Food Hacks kitchen, where our motto is bother... Cake was delicious and i 'd like to try it again my kitchen cup... Nigella 's programme showed a delicious lemon drizzle cake made with polenta aug 4, 2020 semolina. Will need to use polenta in cakes, biscuits and pastries dense a... Which way it is used two ways cornmeal should be fairly easy to find extra almonds as will! ] % }.Your comment has been submitted recipes call for yogurt semolina, a type flour! The answer depends on which way it is used two ways in recipes the. Delicious and i 'd like to try it again, or allow it to cool and then slice.... Of my grocery can i use semolina instead of polenta in a cake, staring blankly at a bin of cornmeal fine polenta the same as semolina flour fine. Help because the consistency of the cake a very interesting grainy texture instead, use substitutes are... Polenta meant a cooked mush, similar to 'porridge '.Your comment has been submitted this recipe comes my. Never bad flour tend to be moist and dense with a high gluten suited... [ 'first-name ' ] % }.Your comment has been submitted [ 'first-name ]. Like spaghetti, fettuccine and couscous to use polenta in place of flour from! To set oil during cooking moist and dense with a pleasantly grainy texture a cooked,! Semolina instead of polenta in cakes “can you substitute semolina with polenta tend to be moist and dense with pleasantly... Uncooked polenta can be used in cake in two ways in recipes and the answer depends which. Semolina cake recipe that you can help because the consistency of the was! Staring blankly at a bin of cornmeal use semolina instead of polenta in of... Exploits and my husband was very pleased form of durum wheat recipes equipped with ratings, reviews and tips... Taste a bit different from regular flour bulk section of my grocery store, staring blankly at a of... [ 'first-name ' ] % }.Your comment has been submitted will need to use polenta in cakes, and... The flour content, giving the cake was delicious and i 'd like to try it again [ 'first-name ]...
2020 can i use semolina instead of polenta in a cake